Welcome to EMDI, Akure.
A major milestone in Science and Engineering sector of the nation's economy was recorded with the establishment of National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI) in 1992. NASENI was designed with the mandate to conduct developmental work in the areas of manufacturing and production through co-ordinating the proliferation of technologies developed within and outside its six developmental centers. Engineering Materials Development Institute (EMDI), Akure is one of the then six Science and Engineering Develoment Complexes set up as centers under NASENI.
Engineering Materials Development Institute (EMDI), Akure was established on 1st August, 1995 as the first indigenous government materials research and development Institute. Operations commenced at its temporary site along Ondo Road in May 1996.
The mandate of Engineering Materials Development Institute (EMDI) can be summarized thus:
To work in the area of engineering materials infrastructure for the production of various types of sections and sizes of machines and equipment. The technology produced is thereafter transferred to private sector organizations, industries and relevant government agencies. EMDI also offers consultancy, technical and training services to organizations.
The 5-point agenda of the mandate are:
- To undertake research and development works into processes and systems for the conversion of raw and semi-processed materials of various types, sections, and sizes for application in machinery and equipment production
- To transfer engineering materials production technologies to the private sector, industries and government agencies and offer consultancy and extension services to such and other organizations.
- To establish and operate a physical and metallurgical laboratory for the testing of engineering materials of all types.
- To collaborate with cognate government ministries and agencies in the design of its research and development programms and projects.
- To accept, on terms specified by its trainees for practical work attachment in its work.
To use conventional and advanced materials science and engineering technological know-how for the transformation of Nigeria to a competitive production and manufacturing giant.
To transform scientific engineering materials and technological know-how and innovations into industrial products through strategic management of scarce financial resources: aggressive mobilization for and generation of financial resources; effective maintenance and sustenance of existing facilities; and intensified collaborations with relevant bodies and agencies within a highly professional and friendly work environment.
- 5-Day-Concurrent Practical Training Workshop
- Success Story of EMDI @ 20
- Collaboration Visit
- EMDI Signs MoU with FUTA
- Collaboration Visit
- German Government to Partner EMDI For Rural Electrification
- National Water Resources Partners NASENI/EMDI Towards Provision of Potable Water
- NSE paid one day technical visit to EMDI
- EMDI Chief Executive bags Fellowship Award from MSN
Engineering Materials Development Institute
KM 4, Ondo Road, Akure
Ondo State, Nigeria
From the MD
It is with great delight that I welcome you to EMDI, Akure's website.
EMDI is involved in research and development activities in the areas of materials science and engineering using best practices.
This site showcases activities of the Institute to the public. I hope you find the site useful.